*You are walking home from a late movie, and you have to cut through a cemetery. Describe your experience.
*You spent the day with your grandfather. Tell about your day.
*You are visiting the zoo. You come across an animal that no one has ever seen before. Describe the animal.
*If Superman came in and replaced your principal for a day, what would school be like? Tell about it.
* You have 7 friends coming to your house to spend the night. What do you do to get ready?
* Imagine you are walking outside. A spring storm is coming. Describe for your classmates what you see, hear, smell, taste, and touch.
* Everyone needs help sometimes. Write a story about what happened one time when someone helped you.
* Most of us have worn something we did not want to wear. Write a story about what happened one time when you had to wear something you did not want to wear.
* Everyone has lost something. Tell about what happened the time you or someone else lost something.
* Imagine you are on a magic carpet that takes you anywhere you choose. Think about where you would go and what you might do. Write a story about your adventure.
* Pretend you are asked to spend the afternoon babysitting Howie, a pet monkey. Before you begin to write, think about the fun and adventures you have with Howie, the monkey. Now write a story about what happened the afternoon you babysat Howie, the monkey.
* You are home babysitting your little brother. When you go out to get the paper, the door shuts and locks. Your baby brother is alone inside. Tell what you do.
* You just got a new sled. When you wake up the next morning, it has snowed 2 feet! Tell about your day.
* You find a baby bear on the school playground. Tell about that day at school.
* Describe your feelings on waking up and seeing snow on the ground on a school day.
* Describe your best dress-up outfit of clothing.
* Describe how your mother looks when she smiles at you.
* Describe how our pet behaves when it is being playful. Pretend if you don't have one.
* Describe how your classroom will look the day after the last day of school.
* Think back to your first day in school (first grade or kindergarten) and relate what happened that day.
* This weekend you are going to the Mall. Tell all that you will do.
* Your little brother or sister is sick and can't sleep. Tell him/her a story that will help him/her go to sleep.
* You have just been rescued after being lost for 24 hours. Relate what happened that made you scared.
* Tell what happened when you felt proudest of yourself.
* Your penpal from Antarctica sends you a penguin. Tell about your first day with your new pet.
* Your classroom's pet snake got loose inside the school. Tell what happened.
* You and your mother are home alone when suddenly a tornado is spotted coming toward your house. Tell about your experience.
** Most of these prompts are not original, but have been collected to provide additional prompts for teachers to use with their classes.