A) Complete the sentences in A using BECAUSE or BECAUSE OF and an idea from B.
Use each idea in B only one.
1. He phoned the police a) his bad leg
2. I didnt have any lunch b) I thought it might rain
3. Our plane was delayed c) I wasnt hungry
4. He went to Paris d) hed lost his wallet
5. I took an umbrella e) the fog
6. He couldnt run very fast f) he wanted to learn French
1. . He phoned the police because hed lost his wallet. ..
B) Choose the correct answers:
1. As / As a result it was such a beautiful day, we decided to have a picnic.
2. It was his birthday because / so we decided to buy him a present.
3. As a result / Since all the seats on the train were taken, we had to stand.
4. The banks were closed and as a result / because we couldnt get any money.
5. I didnt find the book very interesting and so / as I didnt finish it.
6. We couldnt drive across the bridge as a result / because it was closed.
7. She had the best qualifications and she so / therefore got the job.
8. I havent got much money as / so I cant afford a new car.
C) Join each pair of sentences using SO / SUCH .. (THAT):
1. It was a very warm evening. We had dinner outside in the garden.
2. He was very nervous. He couldnt eat anything.
3. Our neighbours party was very noisy. We couldnt sleep.
4. The restaurant was very crowded. They couldnt find anywhere to sit down.
5. We were all having a good time. We didnt want to stop.
6. Hes got a very good memory. He never needs to write anythind down.