Using Inspiration as part of a Language Arts lesson will help students with executive dysfunction in several ways:
1) They will be able to get started more easily.
2) The templates provided in Inspiration will help them to organize and plan out their project.
3) They can express themselves quickly and effectively using both words and graphics.
4) It will be easier to sustain attention, since Inspiration involves many different tasks, like choosing graphics and linking elements together.
Above is an example of a Language Arts Inspiration web template that allows students to explore theme in a novel, based on the thoughts, words, and actions of several characters. Since theme is such an abstract concept for most students, this Inspiration template helps students conceptualize theme in a more concrete and specific way.
For students whose visual processing might be overwhelmed by the web and who prefer to process information in a more linear fashion, the graphic web can easily be converted into a more formal outline with the click of a button! Inspiration documents can also easily be imported into Microsoft Word or other word processing software. Below is the word processing/formal outline version of the Inspiration web at the top of the page.
SURVIVAL in The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins
Choose a theme from the work you are reading and explore it through characters' words, actions and thoughts.
A. Words: What did this character say that reinforces the selected theme?
1. Shares info about life in District 11
B. Actions: What did this character do that reinforces the selected theme?
1. Forms an alliance with Katniss
2. Treats Katniss' wasp stings
C. Thoughts: What did this character think that reinforces the selected theme?
1. Is hesitant to trust Katniss at first
2. Love for music keeps her going
1. Declares his love for Katniss
1. Saves Katniss' life
2. Can lift heavy objects
1. Does not reveal his inner thoughts or strategy
1. Distrusts Peeta's declaration of love
2. Sparkles in her interview
1. Forms an alliance with Rue
2. Is a skilled archer
1. Love for family and friends
2. Desire to protect Prim