1. Who is Aretha Franklin?
2. What was Aretha's birth place address?
3. What was the name of the church where Aretha's father pastored for nearly forty years?
4. Aretha's life was connected to Detroit. This city in Michigan was the birth place of a very important soul music record label. What was the name of this company? Who was the founder? What top artists had hits from 1961 to 1971 with this record label?
5. Aretha signed for record labels such as Atlantic, Columbia and Arista. Now she has her own label, what is its name?
6. Can you name five of the most famous songs sang by Aretha?
7. What was the title of the song she sang in the movie The Blues Brothers? What role did she play in the film?
8. What was Aretha's position in the 100 greatest singers ranking published by The Rolling Stone magazine?
9. How many Grammy Awards have been given to her?
10. Aretha has been connected with the Civil Rights Movement. This connection started through Reverend C.L. Franklin who introduced her to Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr, winner of the Peace Nobel Price and strong supporter of the principles of non-violence. What are the famous words of his most memorable speech?
11. What other wax figures of legendary performers, alongside Aretha's, were exhibited at Madame Tussauds in New York in celebration of Black History Month?
12. In what important inauguration ceremony did Aretha sing? What was the date?
THE FINAL QUESTION: Using your answers to the previous questions write an essay about Aretha Franklin. Listen to the song I Say A Little Prayer For You... what words come to your mind when you listen to it?