Richmond Hill Middle School
Social Studies Course Description
Teacher: Mr. Jeff Maiden
School Phone: 459-5130
Planning time: 8:00-9:30
Texts: McDougal Littell World Cultures & Geography
Clairmont Press CRCT Test Prep: 6th Grade Social Studies: Teaching the Georgia Performance Standards
Carole Marsh/Gallopade Georgia Experience:6th Grade Social Studies
Broad Course Goals:
1. Students will recognize and understand the geography of Europe, Latin America, Canada, and Australia.
2. Students will recognize and understand the history of Europe, Latin America, Canada, and Australia.
3. Students will recognize and understand the economics of Europe, Latin America, Canada, and Australia.
4. Students will recognize and understand the government/civics of Europe, Latin America, Canada, and Australia.
Major Course Objectives:
The Georgia Performance Standards (GPS) objectives are available
Grading: Grade Allocation:
Daily Work/Quizzes (40%), Test Average (40%), Exam (20%)
Projects are weighted as one test grade.
Rules and Procedures:
1. To maintain a successful learning environment, students will comply with the Bryan County Handbook policies.
2. To build organizational skills, students will use the agenda daily to record assignments, notes, and announcements.
What to Expect: 1. Homework may be assigned Monday through Thursday, rarely
2. Technology will be utilized.
3. Students will update agendas daily in class.
4. The agenda will be used to communicate between school and
Tips for Parents: 1. Utilize the agenda as a form of communication between home
2. Review assignments with your child.
3. Read together as a family.
4. Establish a definite time and place for homework and study.
5. Monitor completion and quality of your child’s work.
6. Make sure your child has needed supplies (pencils, paper, etc.).